Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Door to Door Salesmen

Beware of door to door salesmen, especially anyone talking about carpets/vacuuming, i.e. KIRBY. Never let them into your house. We learned this the hard way (late 2004). Our house ended up smelling worse after they left, which they truly never would leave, so we had to coerce them out of our house (11:30 pm at night). Dave actually drove the guys to their "van" because the driver refused to pick them up because they hadn't sold us the vacuums. HORRIBLE experience!

So the other night we had some people knock at our door. Nobody ever knocks at our door because we live in a gated community where you have to be on the "homeowners list" to even get in, well at least M-F, because on Sat-Sun the gates are left wide open for current home sales. So I am in my pajamas preparing for my church talk (Sacrament meeting) and wonder who is at our door. I have Dave get the door and I go upstairs. Well it turns out it's a guy and girl trying to sell magazines to earn "points" for who knows what, they say their education, I say probably a cell phone, MP3 player or plasma TV. They basically travel around the country ripping people off and basically are themselves scammed by the companies who hire them to do this for a chance to see America.

These two were from New York and Atlanta. They did a good job talking Dave into helping them out, it's not like they're promoting the product but rather themselves. So we give money to some unknown charity hospital and buy a kids magazine. The last thing I want is another magazine in our house. I don't like magazines, most are not worthy of my dollar. I get enough junk mail to keep me "happy". So the guy leaves his binder of magazine info and his expired illegitimate permit at our house. He never came back for it, which made me worry even more so I canceled the magazine subscription and we'll see if I even get my money back. I thought maybe in my sharing of this experience that I might spare one of my friends the regrets of getting scammed or even imposed upon.

MORAL OF THE STORY: Tell yourself you will never buy something from a stranger at your door unless they are the girl scouts. Your home will thank you for it; It always seem to smell worse after an experience like this.

No comments: