Wednesday, March 12, 2008

State rights vs Parental rights

On February 28, 2008, the California Court of Appeals issued a ruling in a juvenile court proceeding that declared that almost all forms of homeschooling in California are in violation of state law. (Private tutoring by certified teachers remains an option.) Moreover, the court ruled that parents possess no constitutional right to home school their children.

Are we to have the government or state control what happens to our children? Should we just hand our children over to the state because apparently they know what is best for our children? Yeah, we see in Russia and other countries where the state does such an incredible job with its youth. YEAH RIGHT! The best environment in which to raise children is a home with a father and mother working together as they keep their children's best interest in mind.

It doesn't take a village to raise a child! What it does take is work, sacrifice, dedication and love from both a father and mother, not to mention the divine help (grace) needed from Jesus Christ. Of course this is the ideal pattern, but we know that children in one-parent homes can thrive also with the help of family and a strong support network.

I do not like the notion that the government knows what is best, especially when it comes to education, religion, or any other right a parent has in the upbringing of their children. Some of you might not know that I was homeschooled and I still cannot figure out how my mom survived it. A vision into the Hunsaker home... My mom trying to teach three boys (14, 10, 8) and two girls (16, 12) math, english, religion, government, science, etc., as we sat together at one table in our home. To put it lightly we were stubborn, selfish, disrespectful snots, but some how it ended up working in various ways as she and my dad sacrificed much on our behalf. How they came out sane from it all is another long and thought-provoking post that no one wants to write! Although some times we feel they are insane from raising six sons and three daughters!

Sorry this post is all over the place. Enjoy!

I found this gem of a picture. Can you spot me? Just kidding! What a great picture though!

1 comment:

Sierra said...

Wow! I didn't think that the courts could do that. I admire and respect anyone who can home school their kids with any level of success and I love your parents... but I'm not quite sold on the idea that they made it through the ordeal with their sanity. :) I guess yall could say the same about my parents making it through public schooling my sisters and me. They aren't quite all there either.