Tuesday, July 29, 2008

What to Wear Now: Ultra-Feminine Tops

I get emails from Gap about once a week and this one intrigued me, so I opened the email thinking that maybe these tops are modest too. I'm trying to wear clothes that are more feminine then the general solid colored shirts and jeans look. I was told by an image consultant back in Atlanta that these clothes (solid shirt and jeans) are meant for boys/men and not for ladies.

So I open the email and found that the "ultra-feminine tops" are nothing more then an excuse to wear lingerie outside of the bedroom. What bothers me is this is now the acceptable apparel for most working women including those who my husband gets to work around. I couldn't ask for anything more than for my husband to be around lingerie-clad women all day, every day. For most women, their husbands spend the majority of their day at work rather than the home. So it is so comforting to know that the "what to wear now" is lingerie inspired, gag!!

The topic of modesty runs deep to my core, probably too deep in some instances. I have a hard time with women who choose to wear clothes that are "sexy". Does it occur to anyone [insert women] that the term sexy is good, even great for the bedroom but not so great outside of it?

I'll step down from my soap box now and let you decide "what to wear now".

6 comments:

Sierra said...

I'm not so sure that these little things would fly in a professional workplace. And I definitely wouldn't deem GAP as the best representation of what is "hot" for adults.
I'm pretty sure most women in the workforce would much rather be labeled "competent" than "sexy" although, I'm not so sure that "sexy" is a term reserved only for bedroom lingerie.
To be honest, I would like to feel sexy in clothing that fits right and accentuates my best attributes without looking trampy. I really like being a woman and am not ashamed of looking and feeling good about the way I look. I guess what it really comes down to is your definition of the word sexy.
To me, a sexy woman is confident, beautiful, strong and independent. Interestingly enough, those same characteristics could be found in my definition of a sexy man too.
In my opinion, dressing easy, sleazy and cheesy is reserved for girls who don't know who they are and need validation from men to feel beautiful strong and independent. Definitely NOT sexy, and it never works... believe me, I was one of those girls once.

nelsonjeneen said...

Interesting that you brought that up. Those really do look like lingerie. There are some cute stuff out there when you layer but still that is pretty close to "bedroom-looking" clothing. Wow. hum... That is something to really think about.
Jill

Megan said...

It reminds me of a question once asked in church. The teacher in Relief Society asked, "What can we do to help honor our husband or other men's priesthood?" The answers were similar to: ask for blessings, bring the spirit to our home etc etc. My thought that I kept to myself-Cover up your boobies when you come to church. What a better way to honor our priesthood holder than by honoring our womanhood and showing respect!
Hope you are doing well with your new baby.

P.S. These tops would totally fly in my office. I work at an ad agency.

David said...

Since I'm a geek, I tend to rely on the dictionary definition of such terms. The primary definition for "sexy" in the dictionary is "concerned predominantly or excessively with sex." The second definition in the dictionary is "sexually interesting or exciting; radiating sexuality." (source: dictionary.com)

As a happily married man, I've never understood why or how a woman (especially a married woman) thinks she needs to be or look "sexy." Is she "concerned predominantly or excessively with sex"? Does she find the need to be "sexually interesting" or "radiate sexuality"? If so, the world's desire to be "sexy" is nothing more than a form (however mild) of prostitution and adultery.

Of course women understand the effect that dressing that way has on a man; otherwise, they would not do it. No woman who truly understands and respects the sacred nature of her body and her marriage should have the desire to be "sexy" for anyone other than her husband.

I have to completely agree with my wife on this one.

KT said...

These would be really cute over a t-shirt! I bet you would be cute wearing it like that. Too bad other women haven't caught onto the layering thing as much as us "modesty" people who want to wear the "sexy" stuff but know that it is inappropriate outside of the bdrm! I wish all men that were married had some weird cataract problem that is only okay when in the bdrm! :) That would solve a lot of our dilemas!

Annegirl said...

Tricia, this is Annie (Uncle Mark's). I found your blog through Alyse's. I loved this blog. What a good point. The devil is so sneaky in the way he presents things and tries to persuade others that they are acceptable. I worry about what adults think of this line, but I worry MORE about what young women growing up are prone to adopt and accept as "cute" and "normal." High schools and colleges are full of lace, ribbons, and bows inspired by lingerie, and too few think about what they are wearing. Way to speak up about the source of the style. When the emperor wears no clothes, somebody should say something.