Thursday, May 29, 2008

To blog or not to blog...

Have you ever been in a conversation with people about blogging? It is always interesting to hear other's points of view on the blogging world. I wouldn't characterize myself as a true gung-ho blogger because I don't share with the world every detail that is happening in my family's life, but I do think a blog is an excellent way to keep in contact with family and friends and the major highlights that happen in our lives.

Some blogs are fully given gossip about oneself and those closest to them. I sometimes wonder if people realize they are an open book and how dangerous that might be to blog-stalkers (if that is what they are called). To those non-bloggers out there who assume bloggers spend hours on their computers, not every blogger is glued to their computers every hour of the day.

I will continue to blog and probably continue to read from some of the blogs referred to as gossip blogs. Not sure why I am posting this but it has been on my mind lately.

6 comments:

Kristen said...

It is funny how people's opinions can differ so much on the subject! Some people won't even list their names on the blog and use code names when referring to family members for safety reasons, and some people could care less! Its pretty funny! I am glad the Honalina made it onto the Nathan quotes!! That was hilarious!

Cope girls said...

Cute Family Picture! All I can say is that I second you on your blogging ideas! I am very glad I can see how you guys are doing once in a while though!!

Sierra said...

I've thought about this a lot too. I figure that there are fewer people interested in other peoples business than what most non bloggers fear and I figure that it is more therapeutic and record worthy for my own purposes not to include some details.
I do agree that one must be cautious about physical information about contact and addresses should be kept out of it, but some of my most personal thoughts and feelings have been both validated and shared by other people who don't feel at liberty to discuss those things in real life.
Either way, I enjoy it and feel a connection that wouldn't happen otherwise, so I am a big supporter of the blog world. However, I can totally respect that not everyone is as "open" and would prefer to be more private. That has just never been in my nature. :) Hummm, maybe it should be.

nelsonjeneen said...

I have had the same conversation with others too. I am like you where I don't like sharing everything on blog either. Even with my blog being private, I still wonder if people can get on and stalk the blog.
Good post. It made think about the time I spend on the computer ( which is getting less and less) and how it should be used wisely.
Jill

Rachel said...

Hi Tricia! I found you! Your family is so cute. I am probably more of an open book than most on my blog. It would be sad if it made for good gossip for someone. I always toy with going private, maybe I will now that you brought this to my attention. Good food for thought.

KT said...

I didn't even know you had a blog! Crazy me! I love Nathan's comments! He is so fun!